Footpath and Bridge Construction
Listed below are links to useful technical information on the construction of footpaths, footbridges, and other countryside furniture. Most of the documents are free to download as PDFs.
Natural England www.naturalengland.org.uk:
- On the right track: surface requirements for shared use routes:
- By all reasonable means: Inclusive access to the outdoors for disabled people - Appendix 1 has path accessibility standards:
Scottish Natural Heritage www.snh.org.uk:
- Country Access Design Guide (designs for barriers, gates, stiles, steps and ramps, fences, boardwalks, seats and picnic tables):
free On-line version or
Paths for All Partnership www.pathsforall.org.uk:
- Lowland Path Construction, a Guide to Good Practice:
free download: LPCG (11,854kByte).
- Path Bridges - planning, design, construction, and maintenance guide (replaces old Countryside Commission for Scotland "Footbridges in the Countryside" guide), £40 from PfAP.
free downloads by search on www.forestry.gov.uk:
- Timber Bridges and Foundations by Forestry Civil Engineering (InTec), TRADA Technology Ltd, and Building Research Establishment
- <intectbfrep.pdf> (7,883kbyte)
- Scottish Forestry Grant Scheme Standard Costs and Specifications Booklet
- <sfgsscsb.pdf> (1,730kByte)
Department for International Development (DfID)
- Footbridges: A Manual for Construction at Community and District Level:
free download from: www.ittransport.co.uk.
Highways Agency: Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DRMB) Vol 2:
- Making Ways guide
- Technical guide
TRADA Technology for Timber Research and Development Association www.trada.co.uk
River Restoration Centre www.therrc.co.uk
The above documents unless otherwise stated are in Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF).
You can access the download area of the
web site to download the latest version of the free Acrobat® Reader® software
by clicking here